Monday 25 October 2010

MM: Birthday by the Sugarcubes

I listened to a radio documentary about Björk on my way to work today. Mention was made of her first achieving international recognition as a member of the Sugarcubes, in part due to their debut single 'Birthday'. I still remember the first time I became aware of this song. I was watching a television show called The Chart Show on Channel 4 (it later moved to ITV), which counted down the charts for a variety of genres, including the indie singles. I watched in astonishment as they showed the video for an Icelandic band called the Sugarcubes. The low-tech sensibility of the images was paired with sounds that were so foreign to anything that I heard before, and not just because the lyrics were in Icelandic. Needless to say that I rushed to the record shop that week to get a copy of the single (remember those? record shops? singles?)

Here is the Icelandic video for 'Birthday' that left such a deep impression on me.





Come join Music Monday and share your songs with us. Rules are simple. Leave ONLY the actual post link here and grab the code below and place it at your blog entry. You can grab this code at LadyJava's Lounge Please note these links are STRICTLY for Music Monday participants only. All others will be deleted without prejudice.

Powered by Linky Tools

Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...

PS: Because of spamming purposes, the linky will be closed on Thursday of each week at midnight, Malaysian Time. Thank you!

2 comments:

postzoom said...

We are looking for great blogs and we would love it if you registered yours with us.

PostZoom is a directory of the best blog posts which helps readers find great blog posts and blog owners drive more traffic to their blog.

If you are interested in joining, please check us out!

Thanks,
Eric Castelli
PostZoom

Borkiman said...

Eric: I have added another of my blog already. Once you set up multiple blogs per user I will add this one too.